As well as incredible beauty, peonies have depth, history, healing qualities and as a cut flower they’re actually mighty good value. If cared for right, they’ll last a couple of weeks in the vase!
1. The peony is the 12th wedding anniversary flower (or every anniversary in my book!!)
2. The peony is believed to relieve headaches and help with asthma..!! I think I feel a headache coming on!
3. Why peonies are a great choice for an expecting momma or baby arrival…..
In Chinese medicine they are believed to alleviate the pain of childbirth!
4. Symbolic meaning of the peony is prosperity, romance, riches and honor.
5. Why you need them in your wedding bouquet – peonies are an omen of good fortune and a happy marriage.
6. The peony is the traditional flower of China!
7. The peony is not a rose! Even though Marco Polo upon discovering them is believed to have said: “Roses as big as cabbages.”
8. If growing peonies, an ancient Chinese saying is a good guide….
“The first year they sleep; the second year they creep and the third year they leap.”
9. Once you plant a peony, it can live for over a hundred years
10. Peonies need Potassium to provide strength and fight disease….
Peony farm open days
Springhill Peony Farm – November 21, 23, 25
Romswood Peony Farm – November 17, 18, 23, 24, 25
Red Hill Peony Estate – November 17, 18, 24, 25 and Dec 1 and 2
20% off all peony prints
Nothing beats the real thing but to have the all year round check out our prints in The Flower Press Print Room.